Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Real Techniques Starter Set Dupe from Superstore - Review!

Hi everyone :) I know it's been a long while since I've posted anything...Sorry for seriously being the worst blogger EVER! And I know you're probably all tired of hearing about sales at Superstore, but I had to post about the Real Techniques brush set DUPE that they have! (Apologies in advance for the not-so-good quality pictures!)

It's called Sal & Jo's 5 Piece Brush Set with Case. When I first saw it, it was being sold for $10.00. They've now reduced the price to only $4.94! (Which is pretty good, considering the Real Techniques Starter Set is around $20.00).




Anyway, since it was so cheap, I HAD to buy it! So here's a little review for you :)



It's pretty amazing how similar these brushes are to the Real Techniques Starter Set! (Here's a link to my review on those brushes). Okay, I admit they're slightly cheaper in their look, being more plastic than the rubbery black bottoms of the real thing, and the bristles are just one colour (and I'm not sure what they're made of, I assume they're synthetic, but they're probably not taklon like Real Techniques), and there are no names on the sides of the brushes.

However, I think the bristles are just as soft as Real Techniques! The brush heads are virtually identical in both sets, but I notice there are SLIGHTLY fewer bristles in the "base shadow brush" of the Sal & Jo's set (but it's only if you look really hard), and the "brow brush" of the Sal & Jo's set is a bit fuller/thicker than the Real Techniques Set, which is already pretty thick for a brow brush (in my opinion). Also, I'm really loving the pink metal brush handles.

Purple brushes: Real Techniques, Pink brushes: Sal & Jo's

The black carrying cases are virtually identical in both sets, complete with the toggle to keep the case standing up, and the elastic strap to hold the brushes in place. The only difference is a "Real Techniques" label on the inside of one.


Left: Real Techniques; Right: Sal & Jo's. That's the Sal & Jo's black case underneath both brush sets.

Even though I haven't yet washed these brushes to know if they'll stand up to that kind of action (but I HAVE swirled them around a lot on my hand and there's been no falling bristles), I don't think you can really go wrong with this set, especially if you get it for $4.94. I'm glad to have an extra "base shadow brush" for blending eyeshadows, and the "deluxe crease brush" will be good for blending eyeshadows or concealer.

Let me know if any of you have seen this set! I'm waiting to see if Superstore will eventually have dupes of ALL the Real Techniques sets (fingers crossed!)

Thanks for reading, and I will be posting more soon!



1 comment:

  1. nice one.. :) which is the superstore you frequent?
    There is one near me at don mills and eglinton [toronto] but didnt see this there..

    ReplyDelete