Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Real Techniques Starter Set in Canada (and what I think of it)!!

Hi Everyone!

Again, sorry I've not been posting as often as I should! My life has been a bit of a sh*tstorm lately, but hopefully everything will be back to normal soon :)

ANYWAY....I finally picked up some Real Techniques brushes at Walmart the other day! Yay! However, all they had was the Starter Set, which was kind of a bummer, but I thought I'd tell you what I think about it. I'm not sure if Walmart just sold out of the other sets (the Core Collection and Travel Essentials), or if they haven't been in stock yet. I also posted before about the brushes being sold at London Drugs, but the last time I went to London Drugs (about a week ago) they were sold out of all the sets!! Boourns.

Okay, now for what you came to read! What I think of these brushes :)


Please keep in mind that I don't own many makeup brushes, and the ones I do own are all pretty cheap! LOL. So it was a bit of a splurge for me to spend $19 on eyeshadow brushes. That being said, though, I think these are quite nice! Also, please keep in mind that I don't have very much experience with makeup, and I would definitely say I'm a beginner when it comes to techniques...and probably everything else makeup related, ha! But I'm learning..so, really, when I describe how I use these brushes, it may not be what they're supposed to be used for, or how you guys might use them...but I assume they can be used any way you want, right?

First off, when I was looking at the brushes in the store I liked that most of them were quite different from what I already own, since I only have the pretty standard looking eyeshadow brushes such as these:



My favorites in the Real Techniques Starter Set, by far, are the base shadow brush and the deluxe crease brush.

Top to bottom: Base Shadow brush, Deluxe Crease Brush

I was actually very impressed with the base shadow brush. The bristles are synthetic, but not the super shiny synthetic kind. These bristles are actually nice and fluffy, which makes them really awesome for blending! And it's great for putting shadow on the eyelid as well. I've heard it be compared to a MAC 217 (supposedly the ultimate blending/eyeshadow brush)...now, while I don't know about that, since I don't have any MAC products at all (LOL), I think if you're just a regular, everyday-makeup kind of person, this Real Techniques brush is a great brush to have.

The deluxe crease brush is also great for blending, especially in the crease, as the name implies, but it might be a little too large for some people's eyes (so in that case, just use the base shadow brush). For example, it was a bit large for when I used it to actually apply the colour on my eye, but just for blending it's nice. I also like to use this brush to put a highlight colour underneath the brow and sort of blend downwards. I'm also tempted to try this brush with concealer, especially to get it under the eyes, so I might do that the next time I use it :)

The rest of the brushes:

Top to bottom: Accent Brush, Brow Brush, Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush

Now, the pixel-point eyeliner brush I thought would be sort of useless for me, but I am actually liking it to put shadow on the upper and lower lashline (mostly lower lashline, though). Yeah, it's not great if you want a super fine line, but if you like a sort of smudged-out liner look, it's pretty good. My one complaint with this one is that when I washed it, a few of the bristles came out (but literally only like 4 bristles, so...not a big deal, I guess!). I haven't tried using this with a gel eyeliner, since I usually just use darker eyeshadow colours to line my eyes, but maybe with the gel liner it would make a finer line since the bristles would be more smooshed together...maybe....?

The brow brush is a typical brow/liner brush, however it is a bit wider than most of my other brow/liner brushes. Wider in the sense that it's like a slightly chubbier liner brush, if you know what I mean? It makes a thicker line, is what I'm trying to say...LOL. Actually, a line pretty similar in size to the pixel point liner brush. But I guess if you use it for your brows, maybe that's how you want it? I personally don't do anything to my brows (even though I probably should!), but I find that they look a bit fake when I try to fill them in, even a little, so boourns to that.

The teeny accent brush is nice for doing that outer-v thing, but also for putting a highlight in the inner corner of your eye. It's also not bad for doing liner, too.

Overall, I think these brushes are worth the money, not just for their quality, but for their uniqueness in brush shape compared to the standard drugstore makeup brushes you can get. For me, it is the nice blending brushes that seem to be the hardest to find at the drugstores, so I'm almost contemplating getting another starter set just so I can have two of the base shadow and deluxe crease brushes...almost. LOL. One design detail that I really love about these brushes is that the ferrule is continuous with the handle, and maybe this is only a problem for me (???), but I have a bad habit of getting my hands wet when I'm washing my brushes and the water can seep into the ferrules from the top, which could damage the brushes over time. So with this design, I don't have to worry about that. Yay!

Let me know what you guys think of these brushes! What are your faves?
Has anyone found these in Canada in stores other than Walmart or London Drugs?

Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment